Ventsislav Zankov (1962) a National Academy of Fine Arts graduate (1988). Ph.D in visual arts, New Bulgarian University (2013); psychodrama-assistant (consultant) training programme in psychodrama, sociometry and group therapy, PSYCHOTERAPY 2000 FOUNDATION, member of the Federation of European Psychodrama Training Organizations (FEPTO) (2014); Certified Master Film and Television Arts, New Bulgarian University (2016).
Between 1997 and 2008 he was an adjunct lecturer and since 2009 a full time lecturer at the Fine Arts Dept, New Bulgarian University. Had a sculpture class at the National Academy of Fine Arts in 2010/2011 academic year. Participated in series of group exhibitions and other artistic events.
Has launched series of artistic initiatives and curator projects since then, among them:
- the Close-up Discussion Club (2004-2008);
- the 39 grams Newspaper (2005-2008);
- the Contemporary Art Foundation ‘Ventsislav Zankov’ (set up in 2009);
- the Iron Medal for Contemporary Art (established in 2010);
- the All about Him project (2004-2008);
- the White, Male, Straight project (2002);
- the [Zet_maG] e-zine for art and culture (set up in 1999);
- the [Elektrik_BG] mailing list for art, culture and communication (running since 1999)
His most recent individual projects feature:
- In Front of Me, sculpture, painting, neon, the Raiko Aleksiev Gallery, Sofia (2020)
- THE LAST BURGHERS OF CALAIS, sculpture, NBU and ONE gallery Artium – Serdika offices
- Oh, Happy Days, painting, sculpture, the Raiko Aleksiev Gallery, Sofia (2014);
- The Last Boudoir: sculpture, blood, video, the Raiko Aleksiev Gallery, Sofia (2011);
- New Ghost-like Paintings: now we’ve all turned into ghosts, Rakursi Gallery, Sofia (2011);
- Post-Romanticism Reloaded, Bulgarian Cultural Centre, Berlin (2011);
- Possible/Impossible. A Concept towards an Urban Aesthetics, (2011-212); supported by the Culture Municipality Program, The Strategic Development Fund of the New Bulgarian University and in partnership with the Red House for Culture and Debate (2011).
Regular contributor to electronic and print art media.
His interests lie in painting, sculpture, video art, art installations, art performances and the new media. An active Bulgarian artist, who made a name for himself during the past 3 decades.